Thursday, April 22, 2010

It Lives! Woooo Hoooo!

About damn time! I got the eBay motor, pulled out the fan, pressed it onto my rotor and put her back together.

It was still a bit rough.

I pulled it apart, made sure to shim the front bearing properly, and put it back together.

Much better but the rear was still groaning a bit.

I pulled it apart, noted the grease leaking out of the rear bearing, pulled it off the shoulder by 1/8" and pressed the motor back together.

Much, MUCH better. Still not perfect but almost acceptable. I threw an 8" blade on there and it actually helped (as well as masked the noise ;-).

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Okie Dokie, fan on the way

I just won an auction for a GWI motor on EBay (my first ever purchase from there).

At this point I have two extra GWI motors without fans. I plan to find much cheaper MBF's out there to cannibalize off of and then turn a GWI carcass and a GWI motor into cash to support my habit.

Worst case I'll have two spare windings for GWI's.

Not long now...

Thursday, April 1, 2010


I used loctite 271 to seat the bearing. It seems to have worked great.

When I went to press the front bell off of the rotor I got distracted and broke the fan. This is ironic because I think I just sold my last extra. Man, some days...

I was wondering just the other day why so many people are looking for these fan/how they come to be broken. Now I know :-)

I'm not totally sure at this point if this saw was meant to be re-built.